Debt Collection Harassment
If you have had an overdue bill sent to collections before, you know what a pain it is to deal with collection agencies. Did you know that you have very clear rights about what debt collectors can and cannot do?
Sweeney Law, P.A. can help you identify illegal debt collection practices and stop the harassment.
FDCPA & FCCPA: Debtor Rights
You have a right to fair debt collection. Both the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and the Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act (FCCPA) outline very strict statutes on what is fair and what isn’t. If you are experiencing one of the following scenarios, you may be entitled to a statuary compensation and recover actual damages and even attorney fees. Debt collectors are not allowed to:
- Call too frequently.
- Contact you at work.
- Call you before 8 A.M or after 9 P.M.
- Use profane, obscene, or vulgar language.
- Pretend to someone associated with the government or law.
- Directly or indirectly disclose any information to anyone besides the debtor and his family.
- Contact you directly when aware that you have an attorney.
- Adding additional collection fees or charges to the debt.
- Attempting to collect more than you owe.
- Attempting to collect a debt that is not legitimate.
- Threatening wage garnishment, repossession, or arrest.
“Debt Collectors” aren’t just collection agencies. The FCCPA requires credit card companies, cell phone companies, apartment complexes, auto loan companies, healthcare companies, hospitals, or any entity with which you have a financial obligation to follow these guidelines.
If you are being harassed in any way, it’s time to get help from a debt collector harassment lawyer. To assist us in your case, save any letters, texts, or voicemails, keep a log of the phone calls you receive and the numbers they call you from, and make notes of any conversations you have had with debt collectors.
Stop Debt Collection Harassment with Sweeney Law, P.A.
Don’t be afraid to answer your phone anymore. Sweeney Law, P.A. is dedicated to protecting you from companies that violate your consumer rights. Let us help you recover damages and return to a harassment-free life.
We offer support for dealing with debt collectors in Coral Springs, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Miramar, Pembroke Pines, Weston, and throughout Broward County. Request a consultation and stop the harassment: call 954-440-3993.